Tuesday 27 March 2012

Day 13 - In and around Mahai

Lesley : Woken by chattering birds at 05H30 and when I stepped out of the tent saw the most amazing sunrise again (sorry guys, can’t resist these things). Breakfast was a cup of coffee and cereal as we wanted to start our walks rather early when it is still cool.
S: While we were clearing up after breakfast we were visited by our deer and its little one again. Then to our amazement another mother with her even smaller baby joined them. Out came the camera again.
The first walk on our agenda started at the campsite and is called the Cascades. It is wheelchair friendly so is a wide cement path most of the way. The book says it is a 2.4 km walk one way and was a most enjoyable walk which ended in a beautiful pool and series of small waterfalls. Lesley even went for a swim.
With that easy stroll behind us I thought it was time for something a little longer so I picked a walk to what is called Sunday’s waterfall. The info said 3km one way which should take 45 minutes. Well it took us 1,5 hours one way. It was uphill most of the way and started getting rather hot. I kept trying to convince Lesley we should turn around but she was determined to get there. I said she was stubborn and she says she is tenacious. I have to agree with her but she only just managed to get off the mountain with her sore feet and ankles. I must admit my feet are also a little sore after that. The scenery however is magnificent with massive rock buttresses around us and wonderful views of the valleys.
We were hungry after that and Lesley wanted pizza so we headed down the road to a place called the Tower of Pizza. It is about 14km down the road and the place also offers helicopter flips. The pizzas were great and so was the homemade ginger beer.
Then it was back to the campsite to do some more washing and to chill with a nice cold drink. As I am typing this one of the deer is grazing near me.  
L: I died on the long walk, if you work it out that was at least 10km and we only got back after 13H30 so most of it was in the blazing heat. Now I am going to have a long bath and soak my feet as I can barely move and Steve will have to do all the work tonight.
Supper was left over pizza and tea. We have caught up on the blog and tidied the car ready for our trip tomorrow.

What Lesley cannot resist

Ain't she cute?


Reach out and touch it


Ain't he cute?


The amphitheatre


Still a long, long way .....


Unusual dragonfly


Resting at Sunday falls

No comments:

Post a Comment